Peta Credlin is forced to offer humiliating apology to South Sudanese community in Melbourne after mistakenly blaming them for major Covid outbreak
- Peta Credlin, former politician and Sky News host, issued an aerial apology
- Ms Credlin falsely blamed the South Sudanese community for the Covid outbreak
- Her comments were not factual and “deeply offensive,” she admitted
- She had already apologized in 2020 but said it didn’t go far enough
Sky News host Peta Credlin has issued a lengthy apology for baselessly blaming a major Melbourne Covid outbreak on ‘mis-assimilated migrants’ in the South Sudanese community.
Ms Credlin said she “offered my sincere apologies to the South Sudanese community for these mistakes and the hurt and humiliation caused by the broadcast.”
She admitted on the air that it was “deeply offensive” that she “suggested that the community was about gang membership, unemployment and the inability to speak the Australian national language in Australia. point of not knowing about social distancing “.
The 50-year-old had already apologized in June 2020 for the comments, mainly directed at the Dinka ethnic group, but said the retraction did not go far enough.
She had claimed that the peak in Covid cases at the start of Victoria’s second wave was due to South Sudanese having an ‘end of Ramadan feast’.
But figures from the Melbourne-based Society of South Sudanese Professionals show that more than 93% of the South Sudanese community, especially the Dinka, are Christians, not Muslims.
The SSSPA hit back at the comments, calling them libel and a “deceptive and targeted attack on the South Sudanese community of Victoria”.
“The South Sudanese people respect the restrictions related to COVID-19, as evidenced by the extremely low number of infections in the South Sudanese community,” he said.
Ms Credlin admitted on Friday that her comments were “factually false.”
Peta Credlin backed down on comments accusing the South Sudanese community of a Covid outbreak in Melbourne (pictured with husband Brian Loughnane at the annual Canberra Parliament Mid-Winter Ball in 2018)
“My statements were understood to mean that the community had been reckless and irresponsible or even deliberate in violating social distancing requirements and that the community had failed to adapt its cultural practices,” she said.
“I don’t believe there was any truth to those deductions. “
She has since said that she has met a number of representatives on several occasions.
“Whereas I issued an apology in June of last year. I said I was sticking to other statements I had made. I now realize that the apology was too limited and caused further offense, which was not my intention.
She said she wanted to “fix the record” and would circulate articles in the coming months highlighting the South Sudanese community’s positive contribution to Australia.
Ms Credlin (pictured) said her comments were ‘inaccurate’ and ‘deeply offensive’ on Friday
Ms. Credlin drew up a long list of inaccurate claims she had made.
“I said that 15% of the South Sudanese community speak hardly any English. ” she said.
“What the statistics show is that the overwhelming majority (96.5%) of South Sudanese migrants speak some English.
“About 84% speak only English or English well or very well. “
She also claimed that a large number of women did not have access to education.
“Statistics also show that a large portion is well educated,” she said.
“Some Sudanese women felt that I had distinguished them for unfounded criticism which I deeply regret. “
The comments had previously elicited a significant reaction from the South Sudanese community
Richmond AFLW star Akec Makur Chuot (pictured) said she did not accept the apology
She also said 32% of the community were unemployed, but admitted that this did not include the many Australian-born members.
And that 70 percent earn less than $ 800 a week, which she didn’t mention, roughly matches the Victorian average.
“It is a complex question that I have unfairly simplified,” she said.
“Peta Credlin and Sky News Australia accept that these comments were inaccurate and sincerely apologize for any breaches caused by the remarks which were removed from all platforms,” the network previously said in a statement.